Thursday, February 2, 2012

How Do You Make an Apple Turnover?

Push it down a hill! Get it?! Heh.

Apparently I'm a slacker. Pffffft. Happy Birthday to my Butcher!! If it wasn't for her, I wouldn't even be doing this. 

Also, I don't even like apple pie. But, my Daddy does. I got to spend last Christmas with him and I hadn't done that in almost 10 years. So, as the the good daughter I am, I made him one for Christmas.

BEST.DAUGHTER.EVER.



Apple Pie

2 rolled out frozen pie dough rounds
2 lbs. granny smith apples, peeled, cored and sliced
2 lbs. honeycrisp apples, peeled, cored and sliced
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
4 tsp. cornstarch
2 tbs. butter cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1 egg, beaten with 1 tbs. milk
2 tsp. sugar
1 tbs. orange juice

Fold on pis dough round in half and carefully transfer to a pie dish. Unfold and ease into pan. Using kitchen scissors, trim the edge, leaving 3/4 of an inch to overhang. Set aside with other dough round. In a large dutch oven or stock pot, stir together apples, brown sugar, sugar, cinnamon, salt, nutmeg and cornstarch. Set over medium heat, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the apples are just tender but not mushy, about 20 minutes. Uncover and cook until the liquid has thickened and becomes glossy. Remove from heat, stir in orange juice and let cool to room temperature. Once cool, transfer to the dough lined pan. Dot with butter. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Roll out second pie dough round to 12 inches. Cut the dough into 10 strips about 3/4 inch wide. Place five strips and weave the other five into the first five. Brush crust with egg wash and sprinkle with sugar. To keep crust from browning too fast, spray tin foil with non-stick spray and wrap edges. Bake for 25 minutes, remove foil and bake another 35.



I had a bite, and it was pretty darn good even I do say so myself. I didn't get fancy with though. Maybe next time. 



No comments:

Post a Comment