Sunday, April 17, 2011

Here goes nothing....

First things first, I must thank a good friend of mine for the inspiration behind this. Sarah "The Butcher" Mitchell was the creative mind behind the naming of my blog. She has also given me a new appreciation for cooking. So, thank you my friend, I love and miss you so very much. I can't wait to make sweet food babies with you again.

So here is my first recipe, something I make for my Mom (aka the Merm Dizzle), who is gluten/dairy intolerant. This recipe comes out perfect every time. My mouth is watering just thinking about it.


Gluten-Free Falafel

1 15oz. can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
3 tbs. Annie's Goddess Dressing
1 large egg
1 tbs. chopped, seeded jalapeno (about 1 jalapeno)
1 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 tsp. chili powder
1/4 tsp. salt (or to taste)
1/4 gluten-free all purpose flour
2 tbs. finely chopped red onion
2 tbs. chopped cilantro
1/2 tsp. baking powder
Oil for frying (whichever you prefer)

Pulse chickpeas, Goddess dressing, egg, jalapeno, cumin, garlic, chili powder, and salt in a food processor until mostly smooth, but still chunky. Transfer to a bowl, stir in flour, onion, cilantro, and baking powder. You can make patties ahead of time and refrigerate overnight.

Heat a 1/4 inch oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Take heaping tablespoonfuls, drop in oil and flatten, making sure patties don't touch. Cook until patties are golden brown on each side, or 3 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel lined plate to drain. 

Falafel is usually served with pita bread, but in my house, we eat it either by itself or with a corn tortilla. We also serve it with chopped cucumber, tomatoes, onion and Goddess dressing.

Guess what I'm having for lunch? :)






No comments:

Post a Comment