Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Butcher Pleases...

I have done the half-ass cooking this week. I made prime rib for my Mom and I on Mother's Day, but it was a fully cooked one from my local grocery store. Couldn't take credit. 
Now, for Butcher's Focaccia. 

AH-MUTHA-EFFING-MAZING!!!


Herb Focaccia

1 package dry yeast
1/3 cup warm water
2 1/4 cup tepid water
2 tbs. olive oil + 2 tbs. for the pan/bread top
Approx. 7 1/2 cups AP flour
1 tbs. salt
2-3 tbs. FRESH herbs (you know how we do...no flakes)
I used almost all italian parsley and a bit of rosemary

1) small bowl: 1/3 cup warm water + yeast...10 minute rest to bloom.
2) big bowl: 2 1/4 cup tepid water + olive oil, then add bloomed yeast.
3) Whisk in 2 cups of flour + 1 tbs. salt + herbs.

* This starts out as an extremely wet dough which is really easy to work with...but the key here is to add the rest of the flour a cup at a time. This is really easy to make without a mixer.....
It's really kinda hard to explain how to knead it....baking bread is such a feeling....you can feel when the dough is right...not too sticky and not too dry...when you make it you have to just take note of your own technique! Spread the dough out on a cookie sheet that has been doused with another TBSP of Olive oil...actually if you have a sheet pan with higher sides this is ideal...this dough is so silky smooth it's easy as anything to just work it into this big funky mostly rectangular shape. Let it rise for 1 hour and then poke big fun holes all over the surface...douse is again with the last TBSP of Olive oil then let it rise for another hour. Sprinkle it with kosher salt just before you bake it. Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes.

You must know that she lives in a different country right now and I am not much of a bread baker. You make this, you better share. I will smell it, I will sense it, I WILL FIND YOU!!



No comments:

Post a Comment