Thursday, May 5, 2011

What You Know Bout Some Carne Guisada??

I hate, with a passion, store bought tortillas. The only time I will use them is if I have no other choice, or if I am using them to make quesadillas (because then I just smother them in butter). I think that everyone should try to make tortillas from scratch, you will never want a store bought tortilla ever again. Here, at my grocery store, they have a flour tortilla mix (lucky me). I don't think I have seen it anywhere else, but of course that doesn't mean it isn't. Now, make this recipe and the tortillas. You will not regret it. Here is my version.



Gluten-Free Carne Guisada

2 lbs. boneless stew meat
1 can Rotel tomatoes w/ lime juice and cilantro
3 cups water or beef stock
2 tbs. seasoning salt
1 1/2 cups gluten-free flour
oil

In a large cast iron dutch oven, heat 3 tbs. oil. In a medium bowl, combine seasoning salt and flour. I like to brown my meat (giggle) in 2 batches so that it doesn't get all stuck together and the pieces have a chance to get a good browning. Take half of the stew meat and dredge in flour mixture. Drop in oil piece by piece as well as you can. Once done with the first batch, add a little bit more oil and let it heat up before you start the second batch. When all the meat is browned, pour in Rotel tomatoes and stock/water while scrapping the bottom of the pan to get all the flour and crunchy bits. Let thicken for just a few minutes. Pour all the meat back in the oven and stir. Turn the heat down to a low simmer and let cook for at least 3 hours, stirring every once in a while to make sure it's not burning on the bottom. The meat should be so tender it almost melts.

Put it on a homemade tortilla, or corn tortilla for the whole gluten-free thang.

Eat.

Hump things.

The End.

2 comments:

  1. Funny, the wife and I were just talking about this the other day and were trying to figure out the gluten free side of the whole thing. Alas, GF flour...heart+hard=face so hard in the heart face.

    Thanks Butcher

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I put two comments up...Where da other one? Aw damn. It said cool things like you, me, Mitchell butcher and something about our own eatery. Damn, called Butcher Pleases!!!

    Holla!

    JWheezy

    ReplyDelete