Monday, January 6, 2014

Gluten Free and Angry

I'm not sure why I thought this was a good idea, but I have decided to go gluten free. 

New year, new me? Ugh. No. I like being a fatty. 

But, I will see this through. Whining the whole time.


Eggplant Parmesan

1 purple eggplant, sliced into 1/2 inch rounds
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup pecan meal
1/2 tsp. dried basil
1/2 tsp. dried oregano
Salt and pepper
Pasta sauce, use your favorite
Shredded mozzarella (I used manchego)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. 

Season eggplant rounds, both sides. In a small, shallow bowl, beat eggs and add salt and pepper. In another small, shallow bowl, mix pecan meal, basil and oregano. Season with salt and pepper also. At this point, you can add some grated Parmesan, or some of the shredded mozzarella. I didn't, since we are mostly dairy free. 

Dip seasoned eggplant rounds into egg, then into pecan meal mixture, and set on a lined baking sheet. Once all rounds are "breaded", bake for 15-20 minutes, or until crispy and golden brown. Remove from the oven, top rounds with spoonful of pasta sauce and top with shredded cheese. Place back in oven for a few minutes to melt cheese and heat sauce through.

This was experimental. I didn't know how the pecan meal would work, but LAWD HAVE MERCY. It can out so freaking good. So good. 

No comments:

Post a Comment