Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Duck, Duck, Tamales!

For Christmas Eve, I made duck heaven : Quack on a Rack
It was beautiful. Merm was so happy, I swear I saw a tear. It was pretty good if I do say so myself.

Then, of course, Mom asks me what I will make for New Years. "Tamales?", she asks. 

Duck tamales. Duck tamales with roasted grapes. DUCK TAMALES WITH ROASTED GRAPE PUREE.

I have never made tamales before. I live in Texas, I either know someone that will make them for me, or I can buy them in the store. I like a challenge. Let's do this.



Roasted Grape Puree

1 lb. seedless grapes
1 tsp. fresh thyme
Dash of red wine
1 tsp. sugar
Drizzle of olive oil (tablespoon or so)
Salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Toss grapes with oil, salt, pepper and thyme. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Spread grapes onto baking sheet, and bake for 25-30 minutes. Let cool on pan. Once cool, place in a blender or food processor, and add a dash of red wine and one teaspoon of sugar. Blend until smooth. Pout in jar or container and refrigerate.



For tamales:

Cooked, and shredded duck meat (1/2 lb.)
Premixed masa harina for tamales (seasoned however you want)
Pre-soaked corn husks

In a medium skillet, over medium heat, add duck and 1/2 a cup of the roasted grape puree. Let cook for 5 minutes (or until duck takes on grape color). Lay down first corn husk with pointy end towards you, add a teaspoon masa in the middle, teaspoon of duck mixture on top of that, and then a little bit more masa. First, fold up the pointy end and then start to roll for one side to the other. Lightly squeeze the tamale to create a seal, and pinch the top. Add these to either a steamer, or a colander set on top of a pot of water. Make sure that the tamales are standing up and not over lapping. Steam for 2 hours. 


They came out so perfectly. Topped with a little more grape puree, and they were wonderful. I was so damn proud of myself. 





No comments:

Post a Comment