Thursday, June 27, 2013

This Shit Right Here....

I hate to say it, but I haven't tried smoked paprika until just recently. I bought some Spanish sweet smoked paprika not too long ago. I originally tried it on some deviled egg macaroni salad, and it blew my mind! So tonight, while I was making the standard fried chicken like I usually do once a week, I remembered the Spanish stuff I had hanging out in my spice rack. 

GENIUS.



Spanish Smoked Paprika Fried Chicken

4 boneless, skinless chicken breast cutlets
1 cup flour
1 large egg
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream (Oh yeah)
1-2 tbs. water
1 tbs. Spanish smoked Paprika (or just any smoke paprika)
salt and pepper
1/4 tsp. each onion and garlic powder
oil for frying

Rinse and pat dry the chicken cutlets. Season them with salt, pepper, paprika, onion and garlic powders. Heat about a 1/4 of an inch of oil in a cast iron skillet over medium heat. I believe that cast iron is the way to go when frying chicken. I don't mean to brag, but I have a 65 year old, 65 year seasoned cast iron skillet that my grandmother gave to me. Ok, maybe I meant to brag a little. 

In a small bowl beat egg, whipping cream and water together. Add more water if too thick to use. I didn't use any water because I just want to watch the world burn. Not really. Just thought I sounded cool. I honestly didn't think about it until afterwards. Mine turned out just fine to be honest.

On a plate, mix the flour with the remaining spices. Add a little extra of each if need be, but focus on the paprika. I mean, it's the whole point. Duh. At this point, set a little assembly line. Chicken, egg, flour and then skillet. Pick up a piece of chicken, dunk it in the egg, coating evenly. Transfer to flour, covering both sides. Pat the flour into the chicken. Do not shake excess before adding to hot oil. Fry on both sides for about 4-5 minutes. Once golden brown, remove cutlets from the oil and let drain on a paper towel lined plate.

For the love of all that is sacred and Holy, DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT eat this chicken with ketchup (Mom) or any other sauces (like ranch, Jack). This paprika is a beautiful and unique flavor. Enjoy it.




No comments:

Post a Comment